Thursday, September 20, 2007

Get over it - Streamyx P2P Throttling!

If you know and realize that, streamyx users now can hardly download stuffs using P2P client since TMnet has throttled our peer-to-peer connection. However, with some tweaks here and there we can still download files using the same or another method. One of it is to encrypt the bittorrent packet header. Somehow, it will not showing tremendous different in speed.

Sometimes, you will get something really out of expectation but remember... it will not last long, because this is TMnet!!!


You will notice that bittorrent download is currently blocked via bandwidth capping by TMnet. As result, we won’t be able to download files easily from international peers using bittorrent unless there are other Malaysian Streamyx users seeding the file.

Now, let’s just forget the suffering that we all hate to have. A company that based in China has created a software named Thunder (迅雷) which have been reported that attracting Google to invest in the company. This bittorent client allows us to download with decent speed without being capped by TMnet.

Today, I accidently ate a frog on my lunch. Damn it! I really thought that was a fish! Until now, I'm still feeling like want to puke. It was so scary.

I decided not to use Azureus today and give Xunlei/Thuder a try. You will not believe in me and I won't believe my eyes either. What a surprise to me that my first use of the software got me a 60kB/s constantly!!!

Words no more... I suggest you to try out and see if Xunlei/Thunder would be able to beat your convesional bittorent clients (Azureus, utorrent, bitcomet, etc.)

Thanks to HeheHunter that has made it available in English with no ads.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Thunder is a poorly-written software that does not consider the basic functionality of a hard drive.

No doubt, it is faster due to its "smart way" of using port 80 (http) to transfer bittorrent packets in order to avoid traffic shaping, unfortunately it writes data directly to hard drive without caching it enough first.

The abnormal read/write will easily cause a hard drive failure. My short test has caused me a few unrecoverable bad sectors. Damn it.